Tuesday 29 July 2014

The stove

After much reading, I have settled on the Hexamine Stove

Pros:
Lightweight
Solid fuel: lightweight
Solid fuel: can't spill
Solid fuel: does not take up space in your bag once it has been used (no empty canisters)
Solid fuel: cheap
Cheap
Very hot (quick to boil)
Easy to vary temperature (how many cubes do you want to use at once)

Cons:
Blows out easily in the wind
Creates a sticky residue on the bottom of pans

The cons are easily removed by creating a windshield with your bag / body, and by scrubbing the bottom of the pan :)


I decided I wanted to test out the rate of boil and consumption so I would know how much fuel was suitable to pack.

Burning pretty impressively. It seems 2 tablets will boil 500ml in roughly 4min before burning out. This is of course indoors (with breeze I imagine tablets will burn out quicker)

Time to test another cooking idea- I read this somewhere online, but I can't remember where: The freezer bag method. Basically you boil water in your stove, then pour it into a pre-prepared bag of dehydrated ingredients. Let it sit for 5-10min whilst you set up camp; and your meal is ready.
This methods main benefit is the completely lack of mess / cleaning up.
Here I have put together a bag of Deb (powdered potato mash) with dehydrated ham, dehydrated mushrooms, and 'provence style' herb mixture. The result was actually quite satisfying, and exceptionally filling. Super ultralight

And here it is on display on our new cake stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment